Back to top

Tip Line for Trains Blocking the Road

If a train is stopped or shunting for more than 5 minutes at a time, and is blocking a road that someone is waiting to cross, it is against federal regulations and you can report it. Please call Transport Canada’s New Westminster office for Rail Services at (604) 666-0011. Give them the following information:

• location of the crossing, e.g. Venables Street in Vancouver
• date and time
• name of the railway company (In Strathcona, all freight trains are operated by CN Rail)
• what the train was doing and for how long

If you can, please take VIDEO of the entire 5+ minute episode.

You can also send reports to Scott Mooney, the Transport Canada railway inspector who has been active on this issue, at

Shunting, also known as switching, is an activity in which the train stops and moves backwards, then moves forwards again. If a train is continuously moving in one direction, it is legally allowed to block an intersection for longer than 5 minutes.