We’ll be restarting our monthly meetings on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 7 PM at the Strathcona Community Centre.
The September meeting will be a chance to catch up on and strategize about ongoing issues - and bring up new ones. Here’s the still- evolving agenda…
- What’s Up with the Community Panel? We’ve invited Susanna Haas Lyons to give an update. She’s overseeing the Community Panel that’s supposed to recommend where the new arterial should go. So far, the panel has not even begun soliciting volunteers.
- Why Not National? The debate over where to locate the new arterial has been largely focused on Malkin vs. Williams. But Strathcona resident Richard Taplin has been researching why the best answer might be National. It saves the park and benefits Produce Row. And all those objections about cost and routing don’t hold up on closer inspection. Tonight, Richard shares what he’s learned.
- Centerm Expansion. We’ve been asking the province to do a proper environmental assessment of the impact that moving an additional half million containers out of the port will have on our community – and this week the EAO sent representatives to meet with us on Sept 6.
- Burrard Inlet Line. Two months of mediation with CN failed to yield a solution to the train noise problem. In the weeks and months ahead we’ll shift to more public pressure and also focus on the road and traffic issues caused by trains. Last month, the Federal governement pitched in $22.5 million to twin the existing line. The SRA wrote to Transport Canada expressing our concerns about that plan (here's a link)
- What other issues should the SRA being taking a position on for 2018/19? Send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org
- So far, over 200 residents have signed up to become members of the SRA. How can we get more residents actively involved in our community? If you haven't joined yet, you can at the link: strathcona-residents.org/join
- October will be our annual AGM. We have several open seats on the board. If you’re interested or would like to know more, email: email@example.com