- Welcome to Strathcona
- Reclaim Prior! April 1 2013
- NEW: 2013 Statement On Viaducts Removal and Prior Street Calming
- NEW: Traffic on Prior Getting Worse: Car Hits House
- Viaducts and Prior Street
- Mayor's Comments on Prior, July 24 2012
- Reconnect Strathcona
- Reclaim Prior, the Video
- Reclaim Prior 2012
- Prior Traffic and Health
- Letter from the Chair
- SRA response
- Grandview-Woodland Response
- Residents' Association
- Links and Resources
- News / Events
- Exploring Our History
Reclaim Prior Protest
The morning of April Fools Day - Monday April 1st, 9 am on Prior @Hawks
JOIN US to rally for City accountability and to let them know they cannot play us for fools! Viaducts removal MUST include traffic calming Prior as promised by the Mayor.
YOU and EVERYONE YOU KNOW NEED TO COME OUT!
Funny hats, wigs or costumes are encouraged.
Rain or Shine ... Bring your own signs or grab a sign from us!
Don’t have a funny hat etc? We will have extras, and coffee and snacks!
Here’s some background:
On July 24, 2012 Mayor Gregor Robertson went on record promising the City’s viaducts removal plan would include traffic calming Prior Street and diverting traffic, including heavy industrial, off residential streets of Strathcona and Grandview Woodland. (link)
The latest ‘revised’ plan as presented by City staff at the February 6th 2013 SRA meeting shows NO traffic traffic calming for Prior Street or planning east of Main.
We wrote Mayor Roberston an urgent letter on February 26th, 2013 signed by FIVE other community groups to which he has still not responded.
HE TOOK US FOR FOOLS!
Mark you calendars!
The morning of April Fools Day - Monday April 1st 9 am sharp
We go back to rally on the street, this time in bigger numbers and with united partners:
- Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood Council
- Strathcona School Parent Advisory Committee
- Strathcona Business Improvement Association
- False Creek Residents Association
- Ray-Cam Co-Operative Centre
- Grandview-Woodland Area Council
- Strathcona Residents Association
What can you do to help?
- Forward this e-mail (and attached poster) to all your contacts and help get people out to the rally.
- Post the info for the rally on your facebook or twitter
- Deliver flyers about the rally door to door. Grab some at Union Market 810 Union Street between 5:30 and 6:30 pm on Friday, March 22nd, respond to this e-mail to request copies, or better yet download and print your own! link to: poster (pdf) link to: two-up double side handbills (pdf)
- Volunteer at the rally:
- We need nut free baked goods, deliver to Roberta by 8:30 am to corner of Prior & Hawks
- We need safety volunteers to help keep rally attendees off the street. Bring a safety vest and report to Dick or John by 8:30 am to corner of Prior & Hawks
- Make a sign and bring it to the rally. Suggested slogans:
WE WERE CONNED
STOP JOKING AROUND
THIS PROCESS HAS BEEN A JOKE
ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN
NO VISION FROM CITY HALL
WE WON’T BE FOOLED AGAIN
WE’RE NOT AMUSED
WE’RE ON A ROAD TO NOWHERE
LIAR, LIAR GREGOR ON PRIOR
WHY WOULD ANY CHICKEN CROSS THIS ROAD?
EDIT: Since meeting with the City's new planner on March 27, SRA leadership agreed to make our rally less "politically pointed" please see newsletter post
- Show up on Monday morning, bring your friends and family and most of all your enthusiasm to show the City they can't play us for fools!
For more background info Prior Street, Viaducts removal and the Eastern Core Strategy please see our website.