January 2023 Newsletter
January 16, 2023
|Happy New Year everyone. Below are a few updates on what’s happening in the neighbourhood. We’ll be holding our January membership meeting via Zoom on Weds, Jan. 18 at 7 PM. On the agenda will be a discussion of the 7 proposed developments along Hastings mentioned below. City Planner Tom Wanklin will be joining to give an update and answer questions.
If you have any additional items you would like to add to the agenda, please send them to me via this e-mail. I will send a link and agenda to all registered SRA members the morning of.
Proposed Development Projects on Hastings
One of the challenges Strathcona faces as a community is the impact of the many developments happening all around us. In addition to the new hospital and expanded port, at least seven major residential projects are currently in the works along E. Hastings St. between Campbell and Clark. See below for details. Though these blocks feel ripe for revitalization, we want to share with residents what we know and give you a chance to comment. Send comments to email@example.com or join the discussion at our upcoming zoom meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 18.
1. Raycam Renew – Preliminary plans show 3 buildings, up to 12 stories, that will include an upgraded community centre, social housing, and childcare. Here’s a proposed design image.
2. Aboriginal Centre – Plans show two mixed-use buildings (13 and 14 stories, connected at the bottom) that include a variety of residential options along with space for a social enterprise. Of the 163 units in the building, 85 will be for affordable non-market housing, 53 will be market rental housing, and 25 units will be transitional housing. There will also be space for 80 permanent shelter beds. Here’s a video preview.
3. Westbank Site #1 at 1115-1127 East Hastings Street would see existing commercial space converted into a 260-foot secured market rental housing tower with a density of 16.7 FAR. Retail and restaurant space is planned for the ground floor level.
4. Westbank Site #2 at 1030-1070 East Hastings Street, has been proposed as a 249-foot market rental housing tower with a density of 12.0 FAR – double the existing limit.
5. Westbank Site #3 at 1168-1180 East Hastings Street is a tower with 100 percent social housing units (to comply with the 20 percent social housing requirement set out by the DTES Plan) at 183 feet with a density of 10.7 FAR. A social enterprise space is planned for the ground floor.
6. Onni Site #1 at 1220 East Hastings Street include two secured market rental housing towers of 210 feet with a combined density of 8.56 FAR.
7. Onni Site #2 at 560 Raymur Avenue is proposed as a mid-rise building featuring 100 percent social housing units (to comply with the 20 percent social housing requirement) at a height and density that falls within the existing zoning restrictions.
Progress on New St. Paul’s Hospital
The folks at PCL Construction/Providence Health Care sent this video updating the progress made on construction of the New St. Paul’s Hospital in 2022.
Celebrate Strathcona 2
Celebrate Strathcona 2 is set for Saturday, June 10. We’re looking for some fun grass roots activities for kids – and also neighbours willing to coordinate and run them. It could be as quotidian as a three-legged race or as ambitious as Mount Pleasant’s Annual Zucchini Run. Ideas welcome. E-mail me here.opyright (C) 2023 Strathcona Residents Association. All rights reserved.
You are receiving this Email because you signed up to be a member of the SRA.