Celebrate Strathcona is a community event to be held in Strathcona Park on Saturday afternoon, June 11, 2022. The idea is to provide all Strathcona residents with an opportunity to connect, discover and celebrate our diverse community. After two years of CoVid, we could all use a chance to have some fun together.
Celebrate Strathcona will have three parts: Eat, Discover, and Celebrate.
Eat (12-1 PM)
A mass picnic (imagine a down-home diner en blanc without the dressing). Residents (or small groups) will bring their own picnic baskets and blankets (and maybe something culturally unique to share with neighbours on a potluck table). We will close down Hawks, set up tables and invite several food trucks.
Discover (1-3 PM)
Workshops, tours and activities are sponsored, organized and run by local groups. So far, we have evolving plans for the following:
- A Scavenger Hunt by the Strathcona Community Policing Centre
- A Skateboard Workshop by the Park Board skateboard team
- A Soccer Workshop by the Vancouver Whitecaps coaches
- Garden tours and workshops in gardening, orchard trees, beekeeping, and the wetland project by the Strathcona and Cottonwood Community Garden, EYA and Erthhand Gleaners.
- Hands-on art activity by the Eastside Arts Society
- A Community Air Quality Awareness booth by the Port and the SRA Air Quality Monitoring Project
- A wils eagle info booth.
- Info table by the Working Group for Indigenous Food Sovereignty
- Pedestrian safety obstacle course sponsored by ICBC
- Collaboration station by RecTrek.
Celebrate (3-4 PM)
Live music from Rhumba 7 and dancing.
If you have questions, ideas for activities or for making sure everyone is invited and engaged, contact Dan at email@example.com.